Channels Television

Public RSS Widgets

  • Ajimobi Condemns Attack On Olubadan’s Palace
  • Abiola Ajimobi, Oyo State, Paris Club
    File photo

    Oyo State Governor Abiola Ajimobi has condemned the attacked on the palace of the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji.

    This comes hours after gunmen stormed the palace of the traditional ruler who was installing some chiefs on Monday, wreaking havoc on some vehicles parked inside the palace.

    Governor Ajimobi, in a statement signed by his special adviser on media and strategy, Yomi Layinka, directed security agencies to ensure that the masterminds were swiftly arrested, interrogated and brought to justice.

    “The governor has vowed not to brook anyone or group of people desirous of bringing back the regime of violence and brigandage to the state,” the statement said.

    The Governor, however, reiterated his commitment to the security and protection of lives and properties of all citizens of Oyo State.

    He said he has laboured hard to restore and maintain peace in the state in the last six years, noting that anyone found culpable would not be spared.

    The post Ajimobi Condemns Attack On Olubadan’s Palace appeared first on Channels Television.



  • FG Condemns Attack On Benin Zoo
  • FG Condemns Attack On Benin Zoo
    Mr Lai Mohammed

    The Federal Government has condemned the attack on the Ogba Zoo and Nature Park in Benin, the Edo State capital.

    Gunmen had stormed the zoo on Sunday evening, killing three policemen, abducting the Head of the Zoo, Andy Ehanire, and leaving many shocked over the attack.

    ”The killing of the three policemen attached to the zoo to provide security for fun seekers, the abduction of the zoo boss and the trauma suffered by the visitors who witnessed the attack are saddening, condemnable and most unfortunate,” the Minister of Culture, Lai Mohammed, was said.

    The Minister added that the attack dealt a blow to the country’s tourism sector.

    ”The success or failure of a tourism destination depends largely on a safe and secure environment,” he was quoted as saying in a statement by his Special Adviser, Mr Segun Adeyemi.

    “Incidences such as the attack on the Ogba Zoo and Nature Park, therefore, negate the concept of tourism as well as government’s determination to develop our tourism industry as a tool for socio-economic development.”

    In view of that attack, the Federal Government plans to “step up security in all the tourist sites across the country in particular in order to prevent a recurrence”.

    Mr Mohammed called on the abductors of the Zoo head to release him unharmed.

    He also sent his condolences to the families of the policemen who were killed in the attack, and prayed that God will grant repose to their
    souls.

    The post FG Condemns Attack On Benin Zoo appeared first on Channels Television.



  • FG Has Disbursed N6.6bn For School Feeding Programme – Presidency
  • FG Has Disbursed N6.6bn For School Feeding Programme – Presidency
    File photo

    The Federal Government says it has disbursed over N6bn since the National Home Grown School Feeding Programme started in 2016.

    This was contained in a statement issued on Monday by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Mr Laolu Akande.

    “A total of N6,643,432,789 billion have been disbursed by the Federal Government since the school feeding programme kicked off late last year,” the statement said.

    The government said at least 19,000 schools have been covered so far, adding that more schools would benefit from the programme with the commencement of a new academic session in September.

    They said more states would be added to the list, in line with government’s target that 5.5 million schoolchildren would be fed by the end of 2017.

    According to the statement, a total of 2,918,842 schoolchildren from 19,881 schools in the 14 pilot states of the federation have benefitted from the school feeding programme, which is part of President Muhammadu Buhari administration’s N500 billion Social Investment Programmes (SIPs).

    “With 3,325 schools, Kaduna State has the highest number of schools so far covered under the programme, as well as the highest number of schoolchildren (835,508) who have been fed.

    “It is closely followed by Benue State where 2,220 schools have been covered and 240,827 schoolchildren have been fed. Zamfara State also recorded a high number, with 1,952 schools covered and 198,788 pupils fed under the programme,” the statement added.

    The Federal Government said Bauchi State also recorded impressive figures with 1,904 schools already covered, while 307,013 schoolchildren in the state have so far benefitted from the programme.

    A total of 1,850 schools have been covered and 151,438 pupils have been fed in Osun State; 1,479 schools have been covered and 171,835 pupils fed so far in Taraba State; while a total of 1,403 schools have been covered in Oyo State, where 107,983 pupils have been fed.

    In Anambra State, 807 schools have been covered and 103,742 schoolchildren have been fed so far and 108,898 pupils in 622 schools have been fed in Enugu State.

    The school feeding programme has so far covered 1,050 schools and 163,137 schoolchildren have been fed In Ebonyi State, just as 903 schools have so far been covered with 231,660 pupils fed In Ogun State.

    “Also, a total of 95,134 schoolchildren in 882 schools have been fed in Plateau State. Delta and Abia states recorded 742 schools each, with 141,663 and 61,316 schoolchildren fed respectively,” the statement said.

    The post FG Has Disbursed N6.6bn For School Feeding Programme – Presidency appeared first on Channels Television.



  • BREAKING: President Buhari Returns To Nigeria
  • File photo

    President Muhammadu Buhari is back in the country after a stopover in London.

    The President’s aircraft touched down at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja a while ago.

    READ ALSO: President Buhari Arrives In London

    President Buhari had left the country on Sunday, September 17 to attend the 72nd session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

    After addressing at the UNGA on Tuesday, the President left New York on Thursday for London from where he flew to the country today.

    Details later…

    The post BREAKING: President Buhari Returns To Nigeria appeared first on Channels Television.



  • Suspected Pirates Kill Two Persons In Bayelsa
  • Suspected Sea Pirates Kill Two Persons In BayelsaThe Security situation in Bayelsa State is becoming very worrisome as two persons have been shot dead by suspected sea pirates along the Brass waterways in the state.

    A source disclosed that about four gunmen shot sporadically at the commercial speedboat at Okoroma axis, killing two of the passengers – a young man and a middle-aged woman.

    The pirates were said to have also collected the valuables of passengers onboard in the attack which occurred at about 2pm on Monday.

    Channels Television gathered that the boat was travelling from Yenagoa, the state capital to Okpoama in Brass Local Government Area when the incident took place.

    Chairman of the Bayelsa State Chapter of Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria, Lloyd Sese, who confirmed the attack, said five persons were injured in the process.

    The post Suspected Pirates Kill Two Persons In Bayelsa appeared first on Channels Television.



  • Ohanaeze Visits Sokoto Calls For Continuous Peaceful Coexistence          
  • Ohanaeze President General, John Nwodo

    The President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief John Nwodo has urged Nigerians to remain partners in progress, calling for continuous unity, harmony, and peace between Northerners and people of South East.

    Nwodo said this in Sokoto, when he led a delegation of the socio-political group on a visit to Governor Aminu Tambuwal.

    He said unity and peaceful coexistence should be a responsibility of all citizens, adding that the aim should be to leave a legacy of peace and unity to the next generation.

    READ ALSO: Ohanaeze Asks FG To Stop Military Operation In South East

    “In the same way as the Sultan spoke, any Igbo man who touches a Northerner in Igbo land should first kill John Nnia Nwodo. We are prepared to lay ourselves on the line so that our children will inherit a country where there is peace, harmony and unity.”

    Sokoto State governor, Aminu Tambuwal in his address said Sokoto has always been peaceful and will continue to live in harmony with people of South East.

    “People of South East who are here in Sokoto are our brothers, we shall continue to live together. We will continue to live in harmony. We have never had any reason to have crisis here in Sokoto.”

    The post Ohanaeze Visits Sokoto Calls For Continuous Peaceful Coexistence           appeared first on Channels Television.



  • “Hundreds” Dead In Ethiopia Ethnic Clashes, Govt Says
  • Ethiopia’s government said on Monday clashes that started earlier this month between two of the country’s largest ethnic groups have killed hundreds and displaced thousands.

    “We can say hundreds of the Oromo ethnicity were killed… and there were also deaths from the Somali side, we don’t know exactly how many,” government spokesman Negeri Lencho told a press conference.

    AFP

    The post “Hundreds” Dead In Ethiopia Ethnic Clashes, Govt Says appeared first on Channels Television.



  • Lagos Govt Provides 120 Generators To Police
  • The Lagos State government has donated 120 new 5KVA generators to the Lagos State Police Command to power all police formations across the state.

    The state governor, who made the donation on Monday in Ikeja, also pledged his continuous support to security agencies to ensure optimal performance.

    He reiterated the commitment of his administration to enforce the rule of law and safety of lives and property in the state, just as he said that his vision was for the state to be among the safest places to live and work in Africa.

    Governor Ambode, who was represented at the brief handing over ceremony by the Chairman of Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF), Mr Oye-Hassan Odukale, said the state government would not relent in coming up with initiatives and programmes to guarantee the safety of the people.

    He said the generators were procured by LSSTF to ensure police formations in Lagos State work optimally in their mandate of safeguarding lives and property.

    “Lagos State is the safest state and we hope to make the state to be among the safest states in Africa, which is our objective at the Fund,” he said in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Habib Aruna.

    “Anything about security is given high priority by our administration. Lagosians (Lagos residents) are now feeling safe.

    “The safety that we are experiencing don’t come cheap but I like to assure that at the Fund, we are always willing to move at any time to ensure that we keep Lagos safe,” he added.

    The governor also congratulated the new Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Imohimi Edgal, and pledged to work with him to ensure the safety of the people.

    He said aside from the provision of the generators, the LSSTF had also been mandated to carry out the installation of the new equipment in all the divisions and area commands in the state.

    Ambode, however, urged the police to take good care of the generators and use them for the intended purpose for the overall benefit and safety of the people.

    On his part, Mr Edgal thanked the governor for the gesture, saying the generators would be put to optimal use as they could not have come at a better time.

    He said that the facility would go a long way in ensuring that the divisional and area commands were well lit up to enable them to effectively enforce the laws of the land.

    “You can imagine the confidence members of the public will have if divisional headquarters and area commands are lit with the confidence that their matters would be earnestly addressed,” the Police Commissioner said.

    “Power is very essential. Our communication gadgets, especially phones need to be charged. You cannot function anywhere, you can’t take complaints, you can’t give directives to field officers when there is no power. These generators are very valuable to us,” he added.

     

    The post Lagos Govt Provides 120 Generators To Police appeared first on Channels Television.



  • Gunmen Attack Olubadan Palace
  • Gunmen on Monday attacked the palace of the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji wreaking havoc on some vehicles parked inside the palace.

    The gunmen launched their attack while Oba Adetunji was installing some chiefs including Baales and Mogajis.

    It was gathered that the gunmen arrived at the palace around noon in a black car and shot at the palace, damaging cars parked in front of the palace.

    After shooting for a while and daring people in the palace to come out, they drove off.

    More to follow…

    The post Gunmen Attack Olubadan Palace appeared first on Channels Television.



  • Guinea To Hold First Local Elections Since 2005
  • Guinea will hold its first local elections since 2005 on February 4 next year, the country’s electoral commission said on Monday, tentatively ending years of delays denounced by the opposition.

    “We have suggested the elections be held on February 4, 2018… the president will make a decree validating our proposal,” said Salifou Kebe, the president of the electoral commission known by the French acronym CENI.

    Local elections should have been held in February under an agreement reached in October 2016 between the government, opposition, civil society and international partners in Guinea.

    But since then, despite opposition demonstrations demanding President Alpha Conde respect the agreement, the election timetable has repeatedly slipped.

    Opposition parties were angered when Conde was returned to power in 2015 but promised local polls did not go ahead.

    Conde became Guinea’s first democratically elected president in 2010, taking over a nation run by a succession of strongmen following independence from France.

    Political distrust is high in Guinea, a mineral-rich but deeply poor country where ethnic tensions often turn deadly around election time.

    AFP

    The post Guinea To Hold First Local Elections Since 2005 appeared first on Channels Television.



Powered by Web RSS